International Horn Society (IHS) Annual Competitions
Each year, the International Horn Society hosts five competitions based around the annual symposium but not part of IHS LA 2015: the Solo Competition, Frizelle Excerpt Competition, Mansur Awards, John Hawkins, and Composition Contest. Registration links will reroute to the International Horn Society website.
Note: All IHS Competition winners will be introduced during IHS LA 2015; however, winners are responsible for their own travel to Los Angeles, room and board, IHS LA 2015 registration, etc. (unless outlined by the IHS via the award).
1. Jon Hawkins Award
- IHS Jon Hawkins Award Application and Information: http://www.hornsociety.org/about-the-ihs/scholarships/36-ihs-info/scholarships/332-hawkins
- Age Requirements: Hornists under 24 years of age on August 2, 2015 may apply
- Submit: Application with three short essays, one (1) letter of recommendation, and a recording of at least two contrasting works by May 1, 2015
- Winner receives:
- One award up to $1,500 (US) to be used for the registration fee, room, board, and travel costs to IHS LA 2015
- Instruction from at least one symposium artist, in the form of a private lesson and/or masterclass
- A 10 minute slot to perform on an IHS LA 2015 concert
- A copy of Werner Pelinka’s Concerto for Jon
- A one-year IHS membership
2. IHS Solo Competition
- IHS Solo Competition Application and Repertoire: http://www.hornsociety.org/about-the-ihs/scholarships/36-ihs-info/scholarships/185-ihs-solo-contest
- Age Requirements: Hornists less than 25 years of age on August 2, 2015 may apply
- Submit: Application & Recording by May 1, 2015
- The IHS Solo Competition includes a recording submission round to determine the five finalists that will be invited to IHS LA 2015. The final round in LA is open to the public. All finalists are responsible for their own travel, room and board, IHS LA 2015 registration, etc.
- Winner will be announced during the week of IHS LA 2015.
3. IHS Frizelle Excerpt Competition (Low and High Horn Divisions)
- IHS Frizelle Excerpt Competition Application and Repertoire: http://www.hornsociety.org/about-the-ihs/scholarships/36-ihs-info/scholarships/186-frizelle
- Age Requirements: Full time students less than 25 years of age on August 2, 2015 may apply
- Submit: Application. There is no application due date; however, this competition is only open to the first forty (40) registrants.
- The Frizelle Excerpt Competition takes place during IHS LA 2015. There are two divisions: high and low. Competitors may compete in both events. Auditions are blind but open to the public. All competitors are required to attend the Frizelle Masterclass which takes place 2-3 days prior to the Frizelle Excerpt Competition.
- Winner(s) will be announced during the week of IHS LA 2015.
4. Mansur Awards (2)
- Mansur Awards Application: http://www.hornsociety.org/about-the-ihs/scholarships/36-ihs-info/scholarships/183-paul-mansur-scholarship
- Application and Essay Due Date: May 1, 2015
- Age Requirements: All ages.
- Submit: Application, Essay, and proof of full-time school enrollment.
- Winner receives a private lesson with a Featured Artist or Advisory Council Member at the IHS LA 2015 and a one-year IHS membership. Note: This award does not include any financial assistance to attend the symposium.
5. IHS Composition Contest
- IHS Composition Contest Application: http://www.hornsociety.org/about-the-ihs/composition-projects/composition-contest
- There are two divisions: Featured Composition Division & Virtuoso Composition Division
- Application and Composition Due Date: December 1, 2014
- Submit: Application, scores in PDF Format, MP3 recording of composition, decryption of work, $25 entry fee.
- The winner of each division will receive a prize of $1250 U.S.D. The winning compositions will be performed, if possible, at an International Horn Society Workshop. The winning composers will have the option of having the work published by the IHS Online Music Sales.
- Questions? Email Dr. Randy Faust: firstname.lastname@example.org